Senior Software Engineer
The Center for Policing Equity
New York, NY (or remote, for the right candidate)
About the Center for Policing Equity
The Center for Policing Equity uses evidence-based approaches to social justice problems and conducts research to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a skilled, full stack Senior Software Engineer with a passion for social justice issues.
The Senior Software Engineer will focus primarily on designing and improving software developed for the National Justice Database (NJD) project. The NJD is the first and largest collection of standardized police behavior in the country (e.g., vehicle stops, pedestrian stops, use of force, complaints against officers, etc.). The Senior Software Engineer will iterate on software that audits, standardizes, cleans, and analyzes these data with the ultimate goal to help police departments reduce bias and increase procedural justice and legitimacy.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve software that automates the NJD production process as much as possible
- Routinely conduct quality assurance checks to vet software developments and ensure that these developments reflect the NJD analysis plan
- Ensure that all data security and confidentiality protocols are followed rigorously
- BS degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience in software development
- Superior attention to detail
- Proactive in surfacing problems and finding solutions
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about data and data insights
- Passionate about social justice issues
Other Relevant Qualifications (desired, but not required)
- Experience with Docker, Postgres, Flask, GCP, AWS and/or a JS framework of your choice
- Experience building data analytics pipelines, ML and/or statistics
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. However, applications received after June 1, 2019 will receive delayed consideration.
Please submit the following materials to apply for this position
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to label each PDF file by including your name. For example, your submitted CV should be labeled, “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.CV.pdf.”