Director of Law Enforcement Field Analysis
The Center for Policing Equity
Flexible; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA; or New York, NY preferred
About the Center for Policing Equity
The Center for Policing Equity uses evidence-based approaches to social justice problems and conducts research to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
Currently, under the direction of the Vice President of Law Enforcement and Social Justice Initiatives, the Director of Law Enforcement Field Analysis will think creatively, analytically, and strategically to help identify and inform future trends in law enforcement in support of the mission of CPE’s COMPSTAT for Justice (C4J) initiative. C4J is a process that leverages police data to provide recommendations to police departments so that they may hold themselves accountable to their values of fair and equitable policing practices.
The Director of LEFA must possess a passion for social justice and social equity issues as they pertain to the law enforcement landscape. Using analytical skills, the Director of LEFA will examine reports, conduct law enforcement focus groups, and employ other investigatory methods to identify promising and innovative tools with the goal to reduce racial disparity within law enforcement practices, culture, and training. The Director of LEFA should have a proven track record of executing projects with multidisciplinary teams in a deadline-driven environment. Candidates should also have the ability to build strong relationships and work with diverse stakeholders at all levels of the law enforcement community.
Strategy & Problem Solving
- Use forward thinking to explore new options for policies, protocols and standards to influence law enforcement reform
- Assist with the exploration and eventual creation of a dedicated implementation team
- Break down complex data driven solutions and assist with translation and operationalizing into actionable strategies for external partners; assist departments with difficult conversations and decisions regarding the most efficient way to reduce disparities and understand implications that the role race plays in policing outcomes
- Use perspectives from other disciplines, such as sociology, criminology, anthropology, and economics, to address social justice and racial disparity issues within law enforcement to create briefing documents to be shared amongst CPE team members
- Use research and experience to advise CPE on how best to achieve strategic agency goals relating to law enforcement bias, policy, organizational change, and training
- Serve as a thought partner for all members of the CPE staff
Collaboration and Relationship Building
- Build and maintain relationships and trust with external partners (including police departments), universities, and other non-profit organizations
- Convene stakeholders and facilitate thought sessions to gain perspective and understanding of issues impacting their ability to offer fair and just police services
- Collaborate across teams internally with peers from the Law Enforcement Relationship team, the Government and Community Affairs team, and the Data-Driven Interventions team
- In collaboration with Data-Driven Interventions, identify and explore uses of unconventional law enforcement data sources, including body-worn camera footage and dispatch audio files, to impact issues of bias
- Stay informed of contemporary academic literature pertaining to social justice and social equity issues across sectors
- Motivated self-starter
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Superior attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Proactive in surfacing problems and finding solutions
- Passionate about social justice issues
Other Relevant Qualifications (desired, but not required)
- Extensive experience leading major criminal justice policy and program development, implementation, and analysis at all levels of government
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. However, applications received after October 15, 2019 will receive delayed consideration.
Please submit the following materials to apply:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to label each PDF file by including your name. For example, your submitted CV should be labeled, “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.CV.pdf.”