Director of Communications
The Center for Policing Equity
Los Angeles, CA
About the Center for Policing Equity
The Center for Policing Equity uses evidence-based approaches to social justice problems and conducts research to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a skilled Director of Communications with a passion for social justice issues. Using communication and strategic planning skills, the Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all organizational communications and collateral to consistently articulate CPE’s mission across multiple platforms and audiences. The Director of Communications will ensure that the Center for Policing Equity is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within the criminal justice reform space. The Director of Communications will work closely with leadership within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the network's audiences in collaboration with the CPE leadership team and constituents
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all:
- print collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, annual reports, press releases, and brochures
- electronic collateral including, but not limited to, e-newsletters, the website, and social media campaign materials
- Other brand collateral such as event gifts and take-home materials for stakeholders and supporters
- Coordinate communications strategy alongside the Development team to drive donor and supporter development leveraging CPE’s donor database (housed in Salsa)
- Develop online and social media content that engages diverse audience segments and leads to measurable action; decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Coordinate opportunities for CPE to lead conversations in the criminal justice reform space
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly with the support of an IT Specialist and/or contractor
- Coordinate and organize annual meetings that engage the network's diverse audiences
- Grow all media contacts and steward the organization’s collaboration with these contacts
- Put mechanisms in place to test the effectiveness and momentum gained by communications activities
Other Relevant Qualifications
- 5+ years of Director of Communications experience
- The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and powerful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- High energy, maturity, and leadership experience with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. However, applications received after November 6, 2019 will receive delayed consideration.
Please submit the following materials to apply:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to label each PDF file by including your name. For example, your submitted CV should be labeled, “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.CV.pdf.”